The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wednesday, March 9th.....Finding good! :)

The big kid came home from school today on cloud nine! Seriously had the best day he's had in a while. When I asked what was behind this very non-teenagery attitude, he just grinned. I'm thinking it must have something to do with a girl.;) Not even close. His math teacher had him and a few other kids stay after class today just to tell them thank you for listening and doing what she asked when she asked it. Then she gave him a peppermint. That was it, a kind word and a peppermint had made his day. It got me thinking, how many times do we overlook the good? It's so much easier to react to the bad, to correct it or punish it. But, the truth is that there is far more good going on around us than bad all the time. What if we all took the time to stop for just a minute and recognize the good? I suppose this is where the saying "stop and smell the roses" comes from. That is such a broad saying and can apply to so many things in life. I'm thinking a little more specifically here, about good behaviors. I spent the afternoon and evening making a special effort to see the good things going on around my house. Pretty amazing actually, I heard compliments on a good basketball shot, a helping hand with a video game and some serious giggling over a silly made up tennis ball game. Wow! There was a LOT of good! As I was putting each one to bed I made a point to bring those things up and let them know that I noticed and was proud of them. I told them each thank you for being kind and loving one another. They all went to bed with a smile on their little faces. :)

Imagine the difference that could be made if we all took a moment to tell a child thank you for something good or nice work for a job well done. If a kind word and a candy could make that child have a "walking on cloud nine" kind of day. That sort of thing could make a difference in a child, in their day and in their life. You never really know when something that you say or do will have an impact on a kid or what kind of impact it might have. So, I'm going to start seeking out moments when I can give a kid (and not just my own) a kind word and a candy. Want to join me? :)

My little one got a much needed haircut this afternoon. It was taking a little longer than normal because his hair had gotten reeeaaalllyyy long. After much clipping and snipping he says, in a very normal calm voice, "I feel like I'm done now." My poor hair girl nearly snipped her finger off she was laughing so hard. :))

The wine of the day is Polka Dot Reisling. It's a sweet white. Sweet is good. You know what else is good? Cupcakes! I recommend a yummy cupcake any time of any day. I don't care what people say, they are not just for birthdays or children. My favorite restaurant choices are based solely on the wine list and whether or not they have good cupcakes. Entree's are seriously over rated. ;)

Happy Wednesday!

No comments: