The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tuesday, March 29th...Calling your shot

The last five days have been crazy busy.   I have watched 9 baseball games and 7 tennis matches in 5 days. That's a lot of watching.  There has been a lot of hurry up and then sit and watch going on.  If you've ever had a little leagurer in your house you know what I'm talking about.  The hurry up goes like this...get your pants, find your socks, where is your hat?  Is your bag packed?  Do you have your glove?  No, I cannot touch your cup, put it in your own sliding pants!"  Gross.  The watching goes like this...wait wait wait...CHEER!  Wait wait wait..CHEER!  Wait wait wait.  Little league baseball is not the fastest pace game in sports. ;)  Don't get me wrong, I love to watch my boys play baseball, absolutely love it..but the general pace of the game is a little on the slow side.  Thankfully I am blessed to have friends on both baseball teams which makes watching waaaay more fun!

Quick parenting tip...Never say to your 4 boys, "I think I'm about balled out!"  This statement will be met with all manner of jokes and hee haw laughing.  The little said, "That should be your slogan mom."  So there you have it, I have a slogan. ;)

At last nights game my middle one walked up to the plate and pointed his bat at his buddy playing in left field.  He was trying to say, heads up friend cuz this one is coming your way.  What he actually said was foul ball over the third base dugout right at his friend's dad. ;)  It reminded me of that same kid at 3 years old.  He would march his adorable little self up to the plate, stop just outside the batters box, hoist that bat up in the air and point his bat to the outfield.  I asked him once why he did that.  His reply, "That's what the Babe did and he hit a lot of home runs."  Can't really argue that logic with a pre-schooler. ;)  When the ball is sitting there stationary on a T just waiting to be smacked it's a lot easier to call your shot than when there is a pitcher on the mound throwing balls at your face. ;)  As I was sitting there watching him do his thing at catcher (which btw, he is going to have some rockin quads that I'm about to be jealous of) it hit me that baseball is an interesting metaphor to life.  Don't laugh, I know it's totally cheese ball, but it is true in many ways. Or, maybe after 9 baseball games and 7 tennis matches I have officially gone looney toons and someone needs to call the guys with the little white jackets to take me away.  That is a distinct possibility. ;)    Here's my 9th game, 5th inning theory...in life we always want to call our shot, control our way, make our own plans; the truth is that the bigger we get the less control we have over the variables.  We never know when life is going to throw us a curve ball, like a busted water hose, a broken arm, a broken dryer or a dog who is trying to eat her foot off.  (For real, my little dog is craaaazy)  At some point we learn that we cannot control everything, we just have to deal with what we have and the good Lord willing, we won't have any "chin music" thrown our way ;)  I asked the middle kid after the game if he was trying to call his shot.  He says, "Not really, my friend looked bored out there so I was trying to give him something to do.  That didn't work out like I planned" ;)  I tried to enlighten him with my new revelation on baseball and life to no avail.  His eyes glazed over after about 15 seconds and all he could say was, "Can we go get something to eat?  I'm staaarving to death!"  Ok, fine..did I ever tell my theory on how life is like a sandwich? :))  Insert 11 yr old eye roll here. :))

The wine for the day is called hot coco from your local 7 eleven.  I'm off to a couple more games this evening and the temp can't seem to get above frigid here.  Apparently I am trading in a work out program for the equally effective method of freezing my a** off watching other people play sports. ;)  Since I've been hitting that method pretty hard the last few days it seems like a good idea to balance that out with some warm liquid chocolate.  ;)

Happy Tuesday!

No comments: