The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Friday, March 4th....Sometimes life is just plain crazy!

This has been the craziest week we've had in a long time.  I mean, crazier than the blizzard of the century and the other blizzard of the century.  Crazier even than the 2 weeks called Christmas "break", I'm still not sure why they use the word break in that. ;)  This week has had car trouble, girl drama, x-rays, strep tests, and breathing treatments.  The highlight of the week had to be completing the freshman enrollment forms.  Those forms were due today, so of course I waited til last night to pull them out. ;)

After dinner last night I had the big one get the enrollment paper out so we could get him all hooked up for high school.  First mistake...paperS, not paper.  It took me about 10 seconds to realize that we probably should have taken a look at this a few days earlier.  Dear Lord in heaven, there are about 20 forms included in the enrollment paper. ;) The only other times I have signed my name that many times was when we were buying a house.  Not even kidding.  One form wants to know what language is primarily spoken in the house.  The big one wants to know why that would be important.  "They want to know if English is the second language spoken in the house, so they can help place the student in the right classes."  He ponders that for a second and then says with his best Larry the cable guy accent, "Mi casa hablos espanol?"  The little one, who has no idea what we are talking about, throws out, "Ha!  You better sign up for that class, you don't speak French very well at all!" :))  From there we moved on to the medical history page.  Really, you want to know every thing that has happened to him in the past 14 1/2 years, including immunizations?  Here's how that went...no no no no no pollen and milk, yes - shots. ;)   After much reading, agreeing, signing and dating, and one hand cramp, we finally got to the good part...class selection.  The core classes aren't too difficult, english, math science and history, no problem at all.  We are flying thru this now like I might get to bed before midnight.  I'm starting to think that maybe I was over reacting just a bit earlier and this enrollment thing won't be so bad.  Then the electives, the "fun" classes.  First one was easy...sports, no brainer for him, and we like that idea too.  Then we start flipping thru the "dog book" (the school mascot is a bulldog) for ideas for another elective.  There are no less than 30 pages dedicated to class options.  They've got it all; art, photography, drama, debate, speed reading, finance (I'm still not sure why that is considered an elective), agriculture, computers, tumbling and all kinds of what we used to call home economics.  We read thru all 30 pages of classes and nothing sounds to good to him.  Bud asks, "What do you like, what are your interests?"  Without skipping a beat the big kid says, "Sports and girls."  Bud shoots right back, "Well, here's a good one, it's called intro to wood."  They both burst out laughing.  I mean, hee haw, knee slapping that is the funniest thing they have ever heard laughing.  Oh come on, no way, that's not in there.  But there it is, in black and white...introduction to woodworking. ;)  Not happening, pick another one. ;)  He finally settles on a class designed to help with study habits.  Good idea, I hope it also teaches him how to NOT procrastinate. ;)

Today started off with a trip to the doctor with the younger two.  The little one is wheezy and has had a stomach ache for about 2 weeks, and the middle has a sore throat.  After doing an x-ray of the little guy's tummy the doc says to me, "Well, he's full of poop."  I'm not sure if it's the 4 gross boys I live with or the craziness of the last 5 days, but for some reason I find this extremely funny and burst out laughing. :))  "So you're telling me that he's full of it?  Thanks a lot doc, I actually didn't need an x-ray for that." ;)  The little one, who always likes to get his two cents worth in, says, "I knew you were going to say I was compensated."  Our doctor came right back with, "Yes, he is definitely full of it, both figuratively and literally." A little sense of humor at the end of a long week was just what the doctor ordered!  I left that office with some funnies in my head and a smile on my face.  And a couple of kids who will feel better in a couple of days. ;)

The wine of the day was recommended by a friend, it's called Smoking Loon.  After this week some people might look at me and say, "Have you been smoking something you crazy loon?"  All I can say is, nope..no smoking of anything, just 4 crazy boys, a broken water pump and a whole lotta poop jokes.  That's enough to drive anyone looney!

Happy Friday!  Oh, wait I think it's Saturday now, I don't really know what day it is so let's just say...

Happy Day!

No comments: