- You need to brush your teeth. Why?
- You need to do your homework. Why?
- No, you can't back my car out right now. Why?
- You need to hop in the shower. Why?
When your kids are little and are asking why things work a certain way, they take whatever you say as truth and are done. At this new stage of "why" there is an immediate follow up argument that is locked and loaded and ready to fire the minute the "no" is out of my mouth. Are they really this quick? Or do they plan all of this out ahead of time...I wonder. No, I really don't wonder, I know exactly what is happening here.;)
- No, you can't use your brother for target practice. Why? He's all bundled up and has goggles on.
- No, you can't pay your brother to jump in the 45 degree pool fully dressed. Why? He said he doesn't mind.
- No, you can't climb on the roof to shoot baskets. Why? We're video taping trick shots.
- No, you can't play tackle football in the living room. Why? We have helmets on.
- No, you can't have my phone battery. Why? Your phone battery is nuclear and if we hook it up with wire and use a kleenex to set it on fire there will be an explosion, it's like a science experiment.
The big one played in his first varsity tennis tournament today. He did pretty well against some stiff competition. On our way to dinner he was telling us all about the day. He said the kid who won is probably sponsored by Babolet he was so good. The little one says, "He's probably sponsored by Walmart." The big one smirks back, "No one is sponsored by Walmart." Little guy looks out the window, and in his very most sarcastic voice says, "Exactly." Nice slam by the 8 yr old. ;)
The wine for the day is Frog's Leap merlot in honor of my most wonderful mother. I'm quite sure it took a multitude of bottles for her to make it thru raising me. That whole "I don't change my mind thing" probably wasn't the most endearing trait in this pig tailed little girl. It's serving me quite well now! :)