The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday, March 27th...Plaaaaaay Ballllll!!!!

It's been a weekend of sports for this girl and her 4 boys.  The two little boys were playing in a tournament at our local baseball park and the big one sandwiched the weekend with tennis tournaments. I'm gonna need some girl time soon.  A chick flick, a pedicure or something...for the love of pete, somebody throw me something pink! ;)

It actually was a great weekend, besides the two cold fronts that came threw Saturday and Sunday.  Watching baseball in 40 degree weather isn't my very most favorite thing to do. ;)  The weekend started out really nice.  The weather was beautiful and I had the distinct pleasure of spending the entire day Friday watching the one arm bandit play in a tennis tournament.  He played doubles with the nicest young man (don't I sound like I'm about 85 when I say that? HA!)  But for real, the kid is awesome. :)  I don't know if you've ever watched a tennis tournament before or not, but it is seriously not an easy thing to do.  First of all, I never played tennis and the scoring is like navigating your way thru a Vegas hotel...confusing doesn't even begin to cover it.  Add to that, parents aren't allowed on the court (which is awesome) so you must sit outside of the court and watch thru the fence (which is not awesome).  The fence is covered with a wind screen.  I'm sure that screen is helpful to the kids playing, but good Lord, a person could stroke out looking thru that for 6 hours straight!  Can someone get me a dramamine? Or at the very least an advil for the migraine this "optical illusion" is creating? I think they played really well, but I'm not exactly sure I was even watching the right match. ;)  They finished 3rd!  Very excited for my broken big kid!

Left middle school tennis and went straight to 8 yr old baseball.  You'd think the intensity would take a major nose dive, but that is not the case.  There are some people who take their baseball seriously...very seriously.  We are blessed to have our little guy on a team with some really great coaches and families.  Perfect mix of competitiveness and understanding that the boys are only 8 years old.  Some of the teams we played this weekend have not got that particular balance down just yet. ;)  That is putting it mildly.  I have found if I ever get bored during a game, a quick glance around is sure to offer some sort of show...off the field. ;)  At the little guy's third game of the weekend he did something truly amazing.  Another first...he hit an out of the park, over the fence, HOME RUN!  If I hadn't been bundled up under 7 layers of blankets, coats, sweaters, shirts and mittens I would have had the phone out a little faster for a picture.  Rats!  Instead of capturing this amazing moment on film, I recorded it in my mind.  I will never ever forget the look on his face when he rounded third base. All you could see was grin...from ear to ear!  His whole team went nuts, cutest thing ever!  It's a moment he won't forget.  As soon as he was back in the dugout he ran out to give me a big hug.  That's a moment I won't forget. ;) When I was talking to him about it after the game he says in his usual non-chalant, nothings too big of a deal way, "Yeah, that was fun.  Did you see my team-mate hit one right after me?  And we were both using one of his two bats.  I think the credit goes to the bats."  Ha!  I don't think so little dude, the credit goes to your dad for finally convincing you to swing that bat level. ;)  Just kidding, the credit goes to the little one, he is one awesome little kid! (and I'm not biased or anything.;)

The middle also played this weekend.  He was subbing with a team that had some players gone.  It was a great little team, with a really nice coach too.  The middle one's favorite place on the baseball field is catcher, and the coach was nice enough to let him play there all weekend.  He was in heaven.  During the middle of the game a foul tip came back and smacked the face mask on his helmet with a loud THWACK!  The whole place went silent, waiting to see if he was ok and how he would react.  Would he need to leave the game?  Was he upset?  Scared?  He hopped right up onto his feet and shook his whole body in a massive spasm that started at his feet and came up and out his hands.  He looked like Wiley Coyote after he face planted with the side of a mountain! :))  The silence was broken with a sigh of relief that he was not hurt followed by some hee haw laughing by both sides of the field! :))  After the game the umpire came up to him and said, "good job catch, you kept me safe back there."  My middle one shoots right back, "yep, I got your back...and your front."  ;)  Funny boy that one, funny boy. :))

Tomorrow, it's off to another tennis tournament.  I've packed some dramamine, advil and a good book.  I will take on the fence and wind nets and I will conquer, or I will read my book and when the match is over throw out a few comments, "That was great!  "Nice shot"  "Suuhweeeet one handed back hand!"  I'm gonna go with the age old phrase "it's the thought that counts", that will work here, right? ;)

The wine of the day is Cupcake chardonnay, it's one of my favorites.  Sometimes after 7 ball games and 6 hours of tennis a girl just needs some comfy warm jammies and a glass of something familiar.  Throwing in a cupcake doesn't hurt either. ;)  Plus with the amount of sports happening around here lately my time to "research" for my blog has been severely limited.  I'm gonna have to work on that!

Happy Sunday!

No comments: