The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday, February 22nd....It's ok to look back, just don't stare.

It's so easy in life to look back at things that have transpired.  Major events, special moments, the good, the bad & the ugly so to speak.  All kinds of things can trigger past memories to surface, a song on the radio, a scent, or a photo.  Sometimes, you get propelled backwards in time just as you are about to move forward to a new stage.  That happened to me tonight.  The oldest is finishing up the 8th grade and will be going to high school next year.  This evening was orientation at the high school he will attend.  As I sat there listening (or not really listening, as I think I zoned out after the cheerleaders left the stage) I was struck hard by the fact that I have a child old enough to go to high school.  Switch flipped...and the memories started flooding in.   It doesn't help that he will be attending the same high school that his dad and I both went to.  I could have let the memories go way back to when his dad and I met at a party, classes we took together, friends that were made, memories that are still as real as if they were yesterday.  I put a quick stop to those big hair memories, and instead let myself, just for a moment, think back over the last 14 1/2 years.  I thought back to when he was born and the excitement of the first baby.  The first bath at home, first smile (which was at dad, bugger), how he used to wheel around in his little baby walker at about mach 2!  First steps, first teeth, first time he stacked boxes on each other and climbed up on the pool table and threw pool balls at the dog! ;)  When he drove a golf cart into a motor home at 2, and the many other ER trips we made during his first few years.  I basically let my mind form a documentary of his life in my head.  Going to kindergarten, holding baby brothers, breaking about a dozen windows. ;)  As in all good short films I skipped over the not so fun parts, those really aren't worth spending a lot of time on.  I watch in my head as he grew up into a young boy and learned to read and played with friends and got his feelings hurt.  All of the life lessons he has already learned, many the hard way....all making up the most amazing young man he has become.  I thought back over all the games I have watched him play; flag football, basketball and his favorite, baseball.  So many special moments all coming together to make this very special short film I have running in my mind.

A few years ago I read a quote that struck me as so very wise, "It's ok to look back, just don't stare".  At some point I realized I was staring, and put a stop to the film and turned my focus back to the present and the very exciting future he has ahead of him.  I wonder what kind of memories will be there to make up my next documentary on him?  It's exciting to think about all the firsts he still has coming his way.  What a blessing to get a front row seat to this most awesome kid's ongoing documentary!

Once the "talking" part of the night ended it was time for a tour.  The hubby and I took the big one and a friend and set off into the high school to check it out.  Weird.  That is all I can say, weird.  So much looks exactly the same.  I remember where my locker was my senior year, walked right by the computer class the hubby and I had together, the library (well, I don't actually remember that, I'm not sure I ever went in there.  Hoping the big kid doesn't follow in my exact footsteps.)  The boys checked everything out...mostly the girls, signed up for a few sports and were ready to go.  As we are walking out the hubby says, "hay guys, there's a nook right up here where your mom and I used to make out."  Jeez.  Two teenagers just threw up in their mouth, and I am now out of my nostalgic revelry.  ;)

The wine of the day is Trefethan cabernet.  The Trefethan vineyard holds a special memory from 14 years ago, I'm sure one sip of this will send me right back to my "documentary".  I'll just have to make sure I don't stare. ;)

Happy Tuesday!

No comments: