The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday, February 13th....A new "E" and stinky DeeeeFense!

This has been a great weekend!  Time out with friends, sister and fiance in town and wedding dress shopping mixed in with lots of basketball!  Add to that the weather is gorgeous and I am one happy girl, sense of humor restored and I'm ready to roll!

This weekend the little one has been playing in a tournament, with the first 2 games on Friday night.  Thankfully there were grandparents willing to take him, and there was a big brother along with a cell phone to text us updates during the game.  First text said..."Dash got a new uniform" and it had a picture attached.  It's a pretty snazzy uniform and he is looking like a pro-fessional ball player.  There were several more texts thru dinner letting us know how he was playing, what the score was and how both games ended.  A little later in the evening I got one that said, "they are both in bed, the little one is sleeping in his new uni."  I thought, oh gosh, that is so cute, he really loves his new uniform!  By Saturday morning, when he still has it on as we leave for the middle's game, I'm starting to think we might have a problem.  He watched the middle play, had lunch out and then off to his third game...and the uniform is still going strong.  About 6:00pm when it's almost time to leave for church I say, "hay little one, you think you might want to shower and change clothes for church?"  Quick reply, "umm, no thanks, I'm going to go ahead and keep this uniform on, I'll just spray some Axe on myself." OoooKkkkk, that is great, because if I have learned nothing else in the last 14 years, I have definitely learned to pick my battles.  This isn't one I'm going to fight. You and your stinky uniform and cloud of Axe can go right on to church.  This seems like a good idea, the natural consequences of not being dressed right and being cold will surely teach him a lesson and then he will decide on his own not to keep clothes on for so long next time.  Suddenly I have a flash back from the early years and previous struggles with him. Oh.My.Gosh.

He has another "E".

When the little guy was about a year old he inherited an OU jersey from one of his brothers.  He called it his "E".  He wore it everyday for a year and a half!  That's right, every single day for an entire 18 months the child had on his "E".  In the summer he would wear it with nothing under it and shorts, in the winter, jeans and a turtle neck.  When we went skiing he would have on all his layers including the fleece and then put the "E" on over it.  Literally, every single day he had that "E" on, well actually, there were 3 "E"'s I rotated to wash, but he never knew that. Shhhh....somethings are better left unsaid.;)

This morning, I asked again,  "hay bud, you want to take that off and let me wash it and maybe shower before your game?" Again with the very quick reply, "no thanks, I'm keepin this baby on for a full 48 hours!" I thought about that for a minute and decided on another tactic, "you know you are going to be the stinky kid if we don't wash that uniform".  In all of his 8 yr old wisdom he reply's, "I know mom, it's my DeeeeFense, I'm just going to hold up my arms and aim my pits at them, it will stink them out of there."  HA!  Well, I really can't argue with that kind of logic, go ahead and wear it.
When the kid makes up his mind on something...it is made up. Period. I know this is going to be a great trait...when he is a GROWN UP!  For now, he'll just be the stinky kid in the really cool uniform.  At least it's going to be in the mid 60's this week so he won't freeze at school. ;)  I wonder how many days in a row he will have to wear it before I get a phone call?  This is going to be a fun experiment!




The wine of the day is Fat Bastard Chardonnay.  It was suggested to me BY a good friend of mine, not BECAUSE of him. ;)  Although, sometimes we do call him a sad sick little man. :))  It really is a great line of wines, as long as your kids don't see and want to know what a bastard is, that can be kind of awkward. ;)

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Well, it's Tuesday-----is he still wearing it????