The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 6, 2011 Are you ready for some football?

It's Super Bowl Sunday!  People will be picking sides today, for some it's their home town favorite for others it's their favorite team since childhood.  There's also those of us whose favorite team didn't quite make it this far, so we just pick the one with the best uniforms, cutest cheerleaders, or favorite player.  I hear some are picking this year due to something with the President and the Bears...I don't know anything about that.  What I do know is that all people will band together today on two things....food and the love of funny commercials!  Can't wait to see what they entertain us with this year....talking babies, crazy frogs or my personal favorite Betty White playing football!  The woman is a comedic genius!  I hope I'm that funny when I'm 89! :)

Having three boys here (well, let's just go ahead and make that 4), this house is pretty sports oriented.  We watch sports ALL the time.  I have more useless sports fact in my head than I care to talk about...so I won't. Because we are trying to teach our kids lots of good life lessons, and raise them to be responsible mature adults, we are introducing them to a fun game called gambling early in life. ;)  Gambling and sports really go quite nicely together.  Every year we print out the college bowl list and all pick who we think will win each game and follow closely to see who is getting ahead.  At the end of bowl season, the one with the most correct wins gets to pick where we go to dinner as a family on a special night out.  You would think we were playing for a million dollars the way this goes...this family has 4 cut throat super competitors and one quaker.  It probably doesn't require a flow chart for you all to know who the quaker is.  I have figured out, it doesn't matter who has the most points, I win! Dinner out = no cooking!  This year we decided to add in another fun gambling game, just to make sure our kids are getting the full force of this educational exercise, the NFL playoff bracket.  We all get our copies and steel off to different corners of the house to fill out our brackets in private, lest someone else see our picks and strategize against us.  Actually, I sit at the kitchen table and do mine in plain view, feel free to cheat off me boys...I've selected on a very precise and intricate plan...it goes like this...write one of the two teams down on each blank until all the blanks are filled in and I'm done!  Yep, that's how much thought I put into this.  My kids and husband spend a little more time on theirs. ;)   January 7th and all the brackets are turned in...let the games begin!  Week 1 -  whoa, a LOT of teams that I picked with my scientific method have lost.  In fact, several of us have lost our super bowl teams already, this isn't looking good.  Week 2 - I'm out completely, so is the hubby.  Hmm, looking again, it appears that so is the oldest,  and the middle.  Oh. My. Gosh.  The little one has won the bracket after the 2nd week!  Wahooo Dash(we call him Dash, because he is one faaaaast white boy)!   Where does the 8 yr old football guru want to go....McDonalds.  Nice.  Next year, I'm going to put a little more thought into my picks! ;)

If you would also like to introduce your young-ins to the fun world of gambling go to brunodraftkits.com.  They have super bowl bingo you can print off at home for a small price.  It really is a fun way to watch the game, and they even include the commercials.  It's just bingo, that's not gambling...right?  Today we are playing for cookies, each bingo gets a cookie. I can honestly say I hope I don't get one single bingo.  I have eaten about 3 dozen no bake cookies during the noschoolapalooza, and I probably need to lay off the sweets for awhile, or my skinny jeans will be hacked.  This means I will win at least 5 bingos during the game and of course will eat each and every cookie I win.  I mean that's how the game goes...I wouldn't want to break the rules or anything. ;)

There won't be a wine choice for today because the liquor stores are closed in the middle of the bible belt on Sundays. Must plan ahead.  I think I'll go back to the Cupcake, it will go nicely with those bingo cookies.

Just a little P.S.  the hubby and middle just got home from the store.  The middle used a gift card he's been saving for a new pump action bb gun and 12,000 bb's.  Yes, you did read that right, 12 THOUSAND!  Good Lord in Heaven, this isn't going to end well.  The instructions I heard yelled as the middle runs out the back door with his new treasure is "don't shoot the dog"!  I'm feeling another "I don't understand why they don't understand" conversation coming.  Oh, and the dogs are inside.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

1 comment:

I forgot said...

TOOOO funny, and I'm glad I am not your neighbor as the middle headed out to go hunting, LOLOL