The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Boys are good!

We've had another first.  The big kid went to his first school dance tonight...with a date.  What?  I don't know how someone as young as I am has a child old enough to be going to a dance....with a date.  These kinds of events make it hard for me to keep up the rouse that I am only 27.  Jig's up sister, I'm going to have to start owning my 41 and fabulous. ;)

I was informed by the big kid that I would need to have him at a friend's house an hour before the dance started for photos.  He said a few guys and their dates and a few girls that were going as a group were all meeting for photos and going to the dance together.  This sounds like a fine idea to me, of course I want a photo or two.  What happened once we got there was straight out of a John Hughes film. :) Turns out there were about 30 girls and 4 boys coming for photos.  All 30 girls were running around squealing "You look so pretty, I love your dress, Eeeeek this is soooo fun!"  The 4 boys were huddled in a corner with a glazed over, deer in the headlights look in their eyes trying to figure out how to get the heck out of there.  Then the mom's started the photo brigade.  There were so many flashes going off you'd think a strobe light was going off.  I was hoping no one was prone to seizures. ;)  After about 30 minutes of all the girls getting photos in their various groups, as a whole big group, by themselves, with their bff's etc etc, it's time for the boys to come out of hiding.  You would have thought someone just told them they had to eat raw brussel sprouts.  I was standing out of the way just chuckling about all of it.  I did get a picture of the big kid and his date, she is darling by the way, and all 4 boys looked very handsome.  As they are all loading into cars to head to the dance all I can think is...dang, I'm glad I have boys.  Every single girl there was adorable... darling dresses, hair done, make-up on, nails done, matching shoes, perfect jewelry...CUTE!  I can't imagine the preparation that went into getting them ready to go...I'm thinking it took hours!  You know what I did to help the big kid get ready?  I made him a sandwich because he was staaarrrvvving!  Then about 15 minutes before we needed to leave he took a shower. ;)  Oh, how I love boys.



I'm gonna have to go with a box wine today, Black Box chardonnay.  First dance tonight, tomorrow is 5th grade graduation for the middle marking the end of elementary school and 8th grade graduation for the big kid.  Momma's gonna need a tap 'o wine and a crazy straw to muscle through all that.  By this time tomorrow I'll have a high schooler, a middle schooler and a third grader.  Sniff, Sniff, can someone get me a tissue?  And maybe some earplugs, because what all that "end of" means is that the day after tomorrow is the first day of summer vacation. (insert scared face here) Twelve weeks of quality (or quantity) together time is heading this way....sort of like a freight train. ;)

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

boomerang jane said...

Big kid looks very handsome & yes, his date is adorable.

As much as i love school holidays, i admire the stamina of American parents having to deal with a 3-month stint. If there was ever a reason to drink lots of wine, thad'd be it!

In the spirit of talking about our children's social lives, I wrote about my sons first formal school dance here http://boomerangjane21.blogspot.com/2010/11/something-smells-in-bloomin-flower.html.

Enjoy your summer.