The W(h)ine Hour..

Every household has one…the whine hour. It’s those bewitching hours between approximately 5 and 8pm in the evening when the kids go crazy and moms across the world lose their minds completely. It doesn’t matter if you have babies, toddlers, kids, tweens, or teens; those hours of dinner/homework/bath time/ bedtime can just about do a momma in. What is a girl to do? It’s simple and brilliant actually, just slip in a little wine of your own! Now, I’m not suggesting anyone down a bottle of whiskey everyday between the hours of 5 and 8, in fact if you do that you will have a few whine hours of your own the next morning. Basically, a little wine during the whine hours will keep you out of the padded cell at the local cookoo house where people will walk by and peek in your little window and say things like “aww, poor mom has lost her marbles” and “hmmm, now that’s a crazy one right there, sits in there all day and hits herself over the head with a Barbie and a hotwheel”. Don’t smirk, it can happen.

So, enjoy the tales of my whine hour, and how I survive each and everyone of one of them with a sense of humor and a good bottle of wine! After all, the whine hour comes around every single day, a girl has to be prepared!

Cheers!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Extreme Sports.

The title of today's blog might imply I have some witty stories about my boys making up their own extreme sports in the yard.  Something like setting up some bike ramps a good 5 feet apart and attempting to jump the gap with no thought as to what would brace the ramps in place, or even "attaching" (using that term loosely here) a laundry basket to a skate board to make "laundry cart racers".  But no, this blog actually pertains to the other side of all of that extremeness.

Sometime in the last couple of months I have received the following card multiple times.  I think people are trying to tell me something. ;)



By the way...my boys have actually done exactly what those three crazies in that picture are doing. ;)  When I first looked at it, I did a double take to make sure someone hadn't snapped a photo in the front yard. ;)

While the before mentioned extreme sports and the one in the picture have actually taken place here, my tale of extreme boy parenting has a different spin on it today. I've been wrestling with the question lately, how do you parent these extreme boys without freaking out?"  I'm not just talking about being worried about physical harm, although that is a constant threat here, but how do you handle all of their issues.  How to teach them to become responsible young men who respect their families, friends and all the blessings in their lives.  How do you dictate without being a dictator?  The older the boys get the more we are moving from extreme boys to extreme parenting.  Well, except for the slide that was fashioned out of blankets from the top bunk down yesterday, that is still extreme boy. ;)  Of course there is no answer to all these questions, all we can do is feel our way thru and do the best we can.  They don't come with an owners manual...which is really too bad. ;)

The wine for the day is a large coke from the local convenience store.  Tonight I am taking the big one to freshmen orientation and I don't think it's appropriate for me to show up there with a glass of red wine. ;) Maybe a glass of an old favorite, Cupcake chardonnay, will be in order afterwards.  I'm quite sure my brain will be informationed and teenagered out by the time I am home for the evening. ;)

Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

todd carr said...

best of luck, although I'd sneak a few sips before going into a teacher conference. Having no kids of my own, I can only imagine the attitude I'd have walking into a meeting w/ a 20 something teacher telling me the whats up w/ my offspring....yikes.